Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Resolutions? More like Never-lutions..


Seeing as it's almost the end of January, it seems like the perfect time to discuss New Years resolutions.. (maybe a smidge late). 
I've never really been the type to make resolutions each year, I think because I know I'll never keep them. I feel like once you make your "resolutions," you're automatically setting yourself up to fail; unless you're a very motivated, productive person (which if you are, I admire and am extremely jealous, kudos). I think, maybe even just the term resolution is part of the reason loads of people give theirs up, because it's become something that people do every year and never take that seriously. Which they absolutely don't have to, no one is going to die if you break your New Years resolutions. Basically what I'm saying is, one, why wait until a new year to make changes in your life? Today is as good a day as any; and two, let's stop using the term resolution when it comes to making positive changes in our lives, because then we fail.
Now if you're like me, it would probably help to tell someone what you'd like to achieve, I feel like it will make me more accountable if I've said it out loud, and I'll have a better chance at the changes I'd like to make in my life, you know, self-fulfilling prophecy and all that. Which is where this blog post comes in. I'm not going to make any resolutions, but there are some things I'd like to do/attempt/change starting now, mid way through an average month, and if I don't completely succeed in all or any of them, that's okay. 
But I will try.

-Be more productive. - I'm such a procrastinator, and I'd really like to stop.
-Be healthier. - Try and eat better, and get more exercise. Vegetables are delicious, and dance parties are fun. As part of this, I'd also like to try and cook more.
-Less distractions. - i.e. Youtube. I've seen enough adorable kitties and Tom Hardy interviews, read a book.
-Read More. - Reading is fun, spread the word!
-Be friendlier. - I can be pretty shy, and would like to work on this. Hi, my name is Kelsey :)
-Write in my journal. - Notorious journal-forgetter-abouter here. In 20 or 30 years I'd like to be able to look back and remember all the things I've forgotten. Perhaps this blog will help! (also, keep writing this blog).
-Keep at it. - Stop giving up on things, even if you think you don't like it. I've given up on a lot of activities in my past because I got "bored" of them, and now I'm stuck wishing I'd continued ballet, or the guitar, etc.
-Stop slouching. - It's unbecoming.
-Widen your vocabulary. - Words.
-Drink more water. - It will do a world of good.

Some kind of gross ones:
-Floss more. - It's healthy.
-Clean the house more/better. - TMI
-Stop leaving dirty tissues around the house. - Sorry significant other.

Making positive changes in your life is a really good thing, but don't beat yourself up if there are bumps in the road, or if you crash and burn. You can always give it another shot!
Any non-resolution type obstacles you're trying to tackle? Let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment